Tuesday 20 March 2012

DRACULA - VAMPIRES GO OLD SCHOOL

The next text we are studying for Gothic is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I’ve never read it before but it should be interesting to go back to the old school days of vampirism and away from the Twilight fetish that’s taken the world by storm. I must admit though, I was a sucker for that series - pun completely and utterly intended.

We have just read Sheridan Le Fanu’s short story ‘Carmilla’ about vampires, and I have to say it’s my favourite out of all the texts we have studied over the year thus far. It was great finally reading about a strong and elusive female character and the sense of mystery kept me completely entranced. All of that without sparkling pretty boys, vampires vs. werewolves or a world wind romance!  



No comments:

Post a Comment